East End Temple, Congregation El Emet, was founded in 1948 by a group of World War II veterans and their families.
East End Temple’s mission is to offer resources and support for living meaningful lives in a Jewish way. Our clergy, our staff, our members, and our children, create rich spiritual, communal, and educational experiences. Led by Rabbi Josh Stanton and Cantor Olivia Brodsky, Religious School Director Mindy Sherry, and Presidents Rebecca Shore and Brian Lifsec, we are large enough to have a diverse membership and small enough to extend a warm welcome to everyone. Explore the opportunities for Jewish expression and personal connections that are the best of East End Temple.
Our downtown Reform congregation reflects the interests, diversity and energy of the New York Jewish community: we are women, men and children of all ages; Jewish and interfaith; single and partnered; straight and gay; socially responsible and personally spiritual; traditional and liberal; and everything in between.
East End Temple is an intimate, warm and welcoming connected community. We create meaning by cultivating spiritual connection, giving back to our community and incorporating Jewish values into our lives.
Located at 245 East 17 Street on beautiful Stuyvesant Park, we serve the greater Manhattan community and invite you to join us.
Czech Memorial Scroll
L’dor Vador – From Generation to Generation
East End Temple will Never Forget.
We are proud and honored to be the guardians of a rescued Torah of the Jewish congregation of Frydek-Mistek, Czechoslovkia. This Torah (MST#1508) is on permanent loan from the Memorial Scrolls Trust.
“May we all go from strength to strength.”
The Sefer Torah number 1508… is one of the 1,564 Czech Memorial Scrolls which formed part of the Jewish treasures saved in Prague during the Nazi occupation of 1939-45. They came from the desolate communities of Bohemia and Moravia and were for some time under the control of the Czechoslovak Government. The Scrolls were housed in a derelict synagogue by curators of the Jewish Museum in Prague, acquired with the help of good friends and brought to Westminster Synagogue in 1964.
A part of the collection remains in a memorial museum at the Synagogue as a permanent remembrance of the Jewish communities from which they came, telling the story of their journey. Many have been distributed throughout the world so that the Jewish tragedy can never be forgotten, and their light can shine as a beacon to the brotherhood of all peoples, to bear an everlasting witness to the holy Name.
“… A Brand plucked out of the fire”
Dedicated September 5, 1980